The Creative Process - Doing to Find Out?

The next project. What? And how? 

Sibling Poets is out of the door, a wonderful and most enjoyable collaborative experience. A 45 minute radio play is with the BBC, an article with the National Trust. Time for a new piece of writing. 

So. Look through all things half written. Review ideas.

What's popular or getting commissioned? What's possible right now in covid times?

Overall, and most importantly, what do I feel like writing? This, because, on the whole, I feel I write better when my heart is in it. This doesn't mean that I can't continue it, or plough through it, or add to it when I'm not in the mood. To my surprise the writing is then often better than I expect in these circumstances, given that it might feel more difficult to do, or somehow tight, or lacking passion. It can then be edited and sparked up. Writing has to start somewhere.

Sometimes I absolutely know what I want to write or someone suggests a project. This time though I'm not sure what's next so I decide to find out by doing. At least this is a decision, better to do something than wait for the elusive muse. 

So I string together a new poetry book, or at least, I think that's what it is. It certainly contains poems on a theme, but it may be more and it could be more. Will it be collaborative? What will it look like? Do I need more writing and will this be poetry or text? I'm not sure yet. Will it be at all?  Yes. Finally I have one answer. I know I want to publish this set of poems. Just not yet how. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid and Creativity

Mind The Gap

Proof Reading 'Sibling Poets' and Getting Those Pages Right