Post Book Slump or Fecund Fallow?

 So 'Sibling Poets', the book written with my brother Jonathan, is finally out of the door. It is already on web-sites for pre-order (well done Waterstones for being first) and soon a wonderful box of books with my name on the front will appear at my door.

The day after we signed off the proofs I went into a post book slump. I half expected it after the pressure and constant to-ing and fro-ing over detail and correction and further proof reading and correction in what felt like a never ending cycle. 

We'd finally made it. To that pause between proof read and publication. I felt tired, listless and as though I would never write anything again, a most unusual state for me. 

One day, I thought, of tea and rest and soothing chores, one day of not thinking about the book and what needed doing, and I would be back to normal, whatever that is. 

It wasn't as though I had nothing to write. I have a new collection of poems that needs organising and forming into a book.

I have two short radio monologues half written, following the same character, Mrs Eldon, from my first two lockdown monologues broadcast on the BBC this summer. 

By day two I felt more or less the same, although probably less tired. Ok I'm thinking, I clearly just need to 'be' for a while and get on with other things, like cleaning the house and playing with the cat.

Tidying up my office felt a good idea although this reminded me of all those other projects I am part way through. 

There is a forty-five minute radio play for BBC Radio 4's afternoon slot all ready but for a few, final corrections.

I have a fully written novel which needs publishing. Mad enough to turn down a publisher offer because I didn't like the contract, I have yet to put real effort into seeking another. 

Another book sits in my head and in a notebook I have kept for 3 years. 

Ten days later and I still haven't written a word. 

A conversation with a friend sparks a thought. A cornish farmer I know always says she thinks humans need fallow time in winter the same way the land does, to rest, recharge and regenerate. I realise this is what I have been doing without knowing it. 

So this morning I am sparked with that idea to write my blog. It feels sweet to be writing again. And before anyone asks, yes fallow can be used as a noun as well as an adjective. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid and Creativity

Mind The Gap

Proof Reading 'Sibling Poets' and Getting Those Pages Right